Tolling On-Board Unit 1379+ – Windscreen Solution for Tolling Belgium
From April 1st 2016, all owners of heavy goods vehicles of over 3.5 tonnes must pay a road charge in Belgium. This regulation will apply on motorways and on a number of regional and municipal roads.
To detect whether a toll road is used, an On Board Unit (OBU) is installed in the vehicle. The OBU is mandatory in order to comply with the toll regulations of the Belgian regional authorities.
The main tasks of the OBU are:
- Detecting whether or not the vehicle is driving on a toll road.
- Helping the driver check relevant vehicle characteristics.
- Calculating the price for the usage of toll roads based upon all relevant charge information.
- Sending relevant charge information to a central system.
- Informing the driver about the OBU’s current state.